Western Australia, one of Australia’s seemingly undiscovered States, is home to world-class wine experiences and we wanted to reach out to share the latest news on luxury wine experiences in the state. While many are familiar with Margaret River for its premier wines, the Swan Valley wine region is making its mark as an up-and-coming destination for oenophiles and international travelers. A quick 25-minute jaunt from WA’s capital city of Perth, Swan Valley is among Australia’s oldest wine regions (home to 180 year old vines), where charming family-run wineries, international players, boutique breweries, and local artists line the heritage food and wine trail.
All eyes are on Mandoon Estate—overlooking the magnificent Swan River, the estate has earned a reputation as one of the Swan Valley’s best wineries and most popular destinations offering a range of luxury experiences. This year, Mandoon Estate was named the newest member of Ultimate Winery Experiences Australia, an esteemed and award-wining collective of just 21 wineries across Australia.
Beyond its cellar door (showcasing a range of incredible wines), the picturesque grounds of Mandoon Estate are also home to a fine dining restaurant, luxury accommodations, brewery, and an art gallery. We’ve included additional details on the destination below, along with featured experiences, but happy to connect further if interested. Hope this sparks ideas for a story on this undiscovered wine region and fantastic all-encompassing destination.
Originally settled in the 1840s as the “Roe Family property”, the land was purchased in 2008 and officially titled, Mandoon Estate. The Estate transitioned into a winery in 2010, priding itself on producing a boutique range of premium wines using traditional methods and acquiring its grapes from the Swan Valley and premiere Western Australian wine regions.
Mandoon Estate serves as a jack of all trades perfect for culinary-minded travelers, complete with a brewery, winery, function center, art gallery, fine dining restaurant, delicatessen, and overnight accommodation.
The century-old vines grow Semillon, Chenin Blanc, Verdelho, and Frontignac grapes, managed using vertical shoot positioning, hand cane pruning and minimal irrigation. The winery has won numerous awards including the title, Western Australia’s Most Awarded Boutique Winery from 2012-2017 and its accolades add to a grand total of 88 trophies, 167 gold, 175 silver, and 285 bronze awards.
Mandoon Estate’s five different experiences delight guests with bush tucker tastings, winemaker meet and greets, an overnight escape, VIP Estate tours, and chopper flights paired with a five-course degustation lunch.
- The Ultimate Flight is one of the most well-rounded experiences at Mandoon Estate, touring guests through the Estate’s underground cellar before taking flight and soaring above Perth’s stunning beaches. Culinary delights include a five-course degustation lunch, a dinner at Homestead Brewery, and a leisurely breakfast following a night in an Executive Suite at Mandoon Estate’s luxury accommodation, The Colony.
- Bush Tucker Tastings include a two-hour guided bush tucker lesson on indigenous food and culture with Noongar Elder, Dale Tilbrook, award-winning wine and beer tastings, and a two-course meal paying homage to Swan Valley’s rich indigenous history.
- Winemaker Meet & Greets are led by a member of the winemaking team, including hosted barrel tastings of award-winning wines and a five-course meal at Wild Swan following a tour of the Estate’s brewery. The exclusive brewery tour is held by a Head Brewer in the German Brew House.
- Overnight Escape is suited for two and educates guests on the inner workings of the winery in an extended tour of the Estate’s underground cellar, historic vineyard, Surveyor’s Room, and more. The day ends with a 5-course degustation lunch or dinner in Wild Swan and an overnight stay at The Colony.
- VIP Underground Tours provide an exclusive tour of Mandoon Estate’s underground cellar with an Estate guide and topped off with a tasting of various cheeses paired with award-winning wines.
- Wild Swan is the property’s elevated dining experience, with menus featuring fresh local and seasonal produce for Australian classics prepared by Executive Chef Michael Hartnell and Executive Sous John Baxter. Guests can enjoy a degustation meal while surveying Mandoon Estate’s pristine and lush green lawn.
- The Llawn is the Estate’s casual alfresco dining experience, creating the perfect relaxed atmosphere to be experienced with family and friends. The Llawn is most popular amongst picnic-goers looking for gourmet dining under the sun. Shareable bites include charcuterie boards, salads, pizzas, and homemade ice cream from the property’s delicatessen. Guests can order charcuterie platters in advance and even call in a request for a birthday cake.
- Homestead Brewery is Mandoon Estate’s most popular spot for a hearty meal and cold beer. The brewery pours six different beers in Schulz brewing equipment and serves burgers, pizzas and filling main meals, all made from scratch onsite. Open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, guests can take a seat inside the spacious dining room or the outdoor dining room with views of the Estate.
- The Colony is Mandoon Estate’s luxury accommodation, comprised of 32 beautifully designed guest suites with lavish amenities. Guests are treated to a concierge service designated to cater experience for a variety of travelers. The Colony team can arrange reservations and itineraries to explore the Swan Valley in a multitude of ways such as mountain biking or by foot.
More About Swan Valley
Swan Valley is located just 25 minutes south of Western Australia’s vibrant up and coming capital city of Perth. The region is home to 180-year-old vines, and the 19-mile scenic loop known as the Swan Valley Food & Wine Trail. Swan Valley’s produce has also been coined, the first humane food region of Australia due to its ideal climate for superior produce growing.